About Me

My photo
Words can help us grow, Like horse piss help trees. (Wonderfully btw)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A good man was called back~

Today i would like to...write about something that i'm not entirely sure how to.
Since 1999, i had some sort of a religous tuition thing every monday and tuesday nights. The tutor, whom we call Uztaz, was a good man who always have a warm smile no matter the weather or how we behaved. He goes out of his way no matter how naughty i was, skipping his classes, pretending to be sick, you know, every single trick in the book.

My god i dreaded those days. Mondays was all right, but tuesdays....WOW. A little sermon of sorts that could take things up till 11pm regardless of me having to wake up early in the morning to go to school. Wednesdays was like the start of the weekend. I could do whatever i want. By sunday, i would get depressed. Waking up on tuesdays makes me suicidal.

Six months ago, i began skipping his classes. I would intentionally keep myself busy until it's late at night, so he'd be gone by the time i get back home. Every single week, on mondays and tuesdays, for six whole months, i would do this.

I often heard from my parents that he asks about me alot, and my parents kept on giving the same excuses (college, exams, lots of work, bla bla bla) and i doubt he bought any of it. It never worked. He knew i hated his classes.

I'm a believer, but of a different kind. My views didn't really go well with his.
But he meant well. His intentions were good.

As at 31st August 2005, i no longer need to evade his classes. I'm no longer bound to the depression of it all. I am free. But the price....was too much.
Uztaz passed away. A misunderstanding between what we call "makhluk halus" and him. Pneumonia (spelling?) in a week? Scientifically unnatural. But it somewhat is.

All i had to do was put up with it for six more months. He's one man who never gave up on me. Never stopped asking for me. He was truly, a dedicated educator.
Call me ungrateful if you will, but i have done so already.

I hated praying. Never believed in it. Pointless in my perspective. But i have prayed, and with him leading the prayers.
He was the leader of all leaders of praying.
Better than the great majority i know.
I hated praying so damn much since i was little.
But what i would give to perform a prayer with him again...
Just once at least.
I can't even remember the last time i did.
I want to, one last time, to remember.

I wonder if he would forgive me.
I wonder, if in the afterlife, he would acknowledge me as his student.

My perspective of it, belief is strictly between man and god,
But things between one man and another, that one should honour.
Forgive me for dishonouring it.
Forgive me for not appreciating the effort you have placed in those 7 years of trying to educate me.
Thank you.

Again, call me ungrateful if you will, i will appreciate it.
May god reward you with the highest of all rewards.

10 comments:

MidlifeCrisisDolmat said...

That was very nice and proper, how you've put your thoughts of him.

I'd like to think that he has forgiven you, and that he would've never given up on you.

But, most importantly, I think he would've been proud of you, despite everything that happened between you.

My condolences to you for your loss. Hang in there.

Muddy said...

Sorry to hear about your loss as well.

Miss Aida said...

My condolences.

It's amazing when you look back and realise just how much an individual can affect your life.

Miss Aida said...

It's strange and bizarre, but was your Ustaz named Muhammad? A close friend of mine just told me a story identical to yours, with the exact same dates. Small world.

Anonymous said...

my condolences..
my uztaz is like yours..a great educator.. an open minded muslim who never judge people by their appearance. he'll come to my house three times a week after maghrib to teach the quran. he will be as cool as a cucumber even if i come back late wearing short skirt and tight fitting clothes. i only pray when he leads and i enjoy it..me a believer but a different kind as well.. and he says its okay as its between me and god.. i wish there are more muslims like him in this world..his warm smiles, his piercing brown eyes..the way he talks, his affection and respect towards his wife.. gosh!! i think im havin a crush on him...:)..

NeoWakko said...

Miss Aida,
Small world it is.

NeoWakko said...

anonymous.
Thank you for coming to my blog.
You should leave a name behind.

=:)

Anonymous said...

hey neo..
im honey, got to know abt ur blog through shariman latif's.. been reading his blog for quite a while, am new to yours, read a couple of your earlier postings, was kinda interesting...especially the latest one.. anything u wanna know, just ask me dimwerd...

NeoWakko said...

this may sound odd, but what's a dimwerd?

ah. and welcome to the blog.

my earlier postings have 5 times more substance than the recent ones...

Anonymous said...

How sad :(

Regret is the worst feeling in the world. Regret and guilt.